Thriving on innovation while building on the solid foundations of experience, JR Automation Technologies, LLC has grown 475 percent since 2009. With 1100+ employees spread across 3 geographical locations, we are looking ahead towards continued success and expansion while servicing multiple industries, including automotive, aerospace, medical, and more.
The Lead Project Manager is a player / coach role. As a player, the Lead Project Manager will actively lead projects Business Unit (BU) projects throughout the entire project life cycle (from quote hand off to project close); providing customer support; leading project-related communications, and taking full project management ownership of related activities performed by multi-disciplined cross functional teams. Primary objectives are to manage project scope and scope changes, performance to schedule and budget, to satisfy the customer with the performance of and the services provided, and to deliver business financial results that meet or exceed JR’s expectation for awarded projects.
What will your typical week consist of?
- Directly project manage “critical” projects as determined by management
- Primary point of communication interface to the customer for respective projects.
- Responsible for the leadership of the project including scope and scope change management, schedule management, cost management, open issue management, requirements confirmation and definition, risk analysis, project kickoff, performance management and compliance assurance.
- Possess and demonstrate the interpersonal and leadership skills to build relationships with key customer contacts responsible for decision making. Actively listen, probe and identify concerns. Understand customer's business and speak their language. Develops credibility, loyalty, trust, and commitment.
- Owns project management through complete product life cycle from order acceptance through concept and final design, to equipment build, , project award, requirements confirmation and definition, product concept development, supplier selection, build, run-off and installation at customer facility and, acceptance and sharing of best practices and lessons learned to utilize utilizing the JR Project Management System. Execution Process (PEP).
- In depth understanding of the financial details and budget of each assigned project
- Has developed strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Decision analysis capabilities; takes into consideration size, complexity, visible and unknown risks, timelines, etc
- Preparation and communication of project status meetings and escalation of critical issues.
- Coordinating / monitoring project documentation, timelines, technical performance, budget, production, quality deliverables, and corrective action initiatives.
- Partner with Program Management Office (PMO) at JR to implement Company and professional project management methodology (PMBOK) and industry best practices.
- Partner with (PMO) to Maintain and continuously improve, a standard project management process supported by tools and measures
- Partner with PMO to Develop and manage an enterprise project, program and portfolio management process linked to corporate strategies
- Partner with PMO to Organize multi-level PM training, including training on process and tools consistent with Company standards
- Mentor and coach project managers and subordinates, especially in requirements definition, compliance, planning, costing, and risk management
- Perform project audits to ensure adherence to the JR Project Execution Process (PEP).
- Assist in the recovery of struggling projects and raise critical project-related issues with management and assist in their resolution
- Partner with PMO to create a reporting mechanism to provide schedule and budget status to management
- Partner with PMO to Facilitate key project / program / portfolio reviews with management
- Directly project manage “critical” projects as determined by management
- Identify and implement potential improvements needed to support project, program, and portfolio efforts
- Collaborate with functional peers to resolve critical issues on projects, especially resource needs and project priority
- Work with BU management to ensure that all projects are properly staffed at project kick-off.
What you’ll learn:
- Latest technological advancements in automation and related industries.
- Robotics, laser technologies, tracking, testing, vision, high speed assembly, and much more.
- We offer different programs and training such as tuition reimbursement and apprenticeship programs to help you embark on new opportunities at JR.
Who you’ll work with:
Customers, Project Managers, Business Unit Managers, Mechanical Engineers, Controls Engineers, all levels of management, Machine Builders, Electricians, Vendors, and Suppliers.
Who you’ll report to:
Business Unit Manager
What to know coming in:
- Bachelor's degree required. Technical / Engineering Degree is highly preferred.
- Project Management Professional traning by the Project Management Institute is strongly recommended, PMP certification preferred.
- 7 years of experience in industrial automation or comparable industry.
- 7 years of experience managing complex projects.
- 3 years of experience leading project managers preferred.
- Proven track record of successfully managing direct customer commercial management responsibility
- Must have excellent leadership skills.
- Ability to act independently.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities:
- Can lead at team of experienced and less experienced Project Managers effectively. Sets the example through interactions with leadership, customers, vendors, and colleagues.
Able to focus on delivering services in a way that enhances / maximizes profitability
Ensure that team delivers service in a way that brings out the organization's value and competitive advantage
Manage against a budget, educate team on important developments within the organization, and discuss relevant industry developments with team.
Entrepreneurial Drive for Results:
The ability to find creative solutions and generate results in a dynamic market environment.
Must have a strong sense of urgency and the ability to infuse that in others. Tireless work ethic is a given.
- Ability to see how the elements of an abstract whole fit together and to identify problems that need to be addressed before others does.
- Must have a proven ability to manage cross-functional responsibilities and their required deliverables
Influencing & Communication Skills:
Comfortable communicating both formally and informally with senior executives and communicate openly and equitably with peers & subordinates throughout the company.
Technical / Functional Understanding:
- Able to serve as a source of technical / functional issues & perspective to others
- Demonstrate a breadth of technical/functional knowledge outside of core specialty.
- Provide others with opportunities for technical growth
- Develop the technical competence of others as a way to achieve results
- Hold people accountable for technical excellence.
- Great listening, open-mindedness, and strong interpersonal skills so that necessary alliances with internal & external groups can be forged and developed quickly
- Proven ability to achieve desired results in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Moderately advanced usage of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) required.
- We are an aggressively growing team who works hard to meet our customer’s needs, causing an average of 48-53 work hours per week.
- State-of-the-art ergonomic workstations, equipped with the ability to raise or lower your workstation to accommodate standing and sitting.
- Mobile storage units to allow for easy moving in order to sit with your changing project teams.
- Recently remodeled engineering areas and meeting rooms.
- Close proximity to the machine build floor where projects you manage will come to life.
- An employee culture that welcomes you like family.